Saturday, December 24, 2016

Infinity Army Display Board - Part One of Two

This is part one of what will be a two part post. This post covers construction, and priming. Getting the display board ready for paint. The second post will cover painting.

When I began, my goal was to have a smashed up city scene display board. I wanted something interesting to look at, and fun to build. I wanted it magnetized so the models would stick, and I wouldn't have to worry about the fragile metal models losing arms and weapons when they tumbled over. I also wanted it to be versatile, so I could perhaps use it for other games/armies if the need arose.

Here's where it all started, an oval shaped plaque that I picked up from the hardware store. I also picked up some destroyed building walls resin terrain pieces to go on it.

I laid out the terrain in several different fashions, and went with the most favorable seeming option.

I ended up with an intersection where 2 city blocks come together at an alley, with a sidewalk, and a large street section.
I traced out the rough idea of what I wanted to build on it.

That included tracing out the terrain pieces, so I knew where to not have breaks in the ground pieces later on.
You can see I was putzing around with ApoxieSculpt there, trying to decide how I was going to do the main sections. That stuff was later to be ripped off.
I got some additional terrain in the form of movable traffic barricades. The beer bottle there is for size reference. All the terrain was purchased on eBay.

The main way this thing was built is with thinly rolled sheets of ApoxieSculpt, cut to shape using scissors. When you roll it out really thin, it never gets really hard/brittle, it stays slightly soft/flexible.

I then used various sized balls of ApoxieSculpt and super glue to stick them to the board at different heights. By doing that I was able to make the ground look buckled.

Here's the sidewalk section, cut out and ready for installation.

Here's right after the sidewalk was stuck down.

I had to go around the all the sheets/pieces of ApoxieSculpt, and fill underneath them with ApoxieSculpt. It added structural integrity to the piece, and made it look finished.
 Here's a back shot after filling.

I added a curb, and some storm drains at the mouth of the alley.
 The grates are made of some plastic half circle rods and flat pieces I had laying about.
 I used my drill and some incremental drill bits to dig out the holes for them.

I wanted the front to have larger, more open spaces for displaying the actual models on. I also had to figure out how to make the magnets on the bottom of the models stick to it.

As you can see, I took a big roll of roofing steel, and started cutting it down to match the ApoxieSculpt ground plates. I attached the metal to the ApoxieSculpt using super glue and clamps.
 As you can see, this strategy left some unsightly gaps at the edges of all the metal plates.
Here's another shot of the metal clamping processing.

At this point I also decided to add magnets to all the terrain pieces I'd picked up for the display board. That way they're not permanent features, but they're more stable than if they were just sitting on there (much like the models).

To fix up the edges of the metal, and make everything flow together, I had to go around and putty the edges of all the metal sheets. I tried my best to get putty under the plates as I did this, since I had a few of the metal pieces pop off before this stage.
 This was a mess, and a hassle. There are still little pieces of ApoxieSculpt stuck to the floor under my modeling desk chair, much to my wife's chagrin.

That was it for construction, I primed it with black miniature primer.

I went at it with slightly watered down PVA glue, and my standard basing gravel/sand mixture. I filled all the cracks, seams, and holes with gravel, to make them look finished. After the PVA on the base dried, I watered it down a bit more than the first time, and went over all the gravel again to seal it in place.

Time for another coat of primer.

All ready for paint. Here's how everything looks together. I'm not sure how or where the barricades will go on there yet, but the buildings will end up right where you see them here.

That's it'. Once I finish painting the last few models I have to have done for WAAAGH!Paca, I'll get this thing painted up!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Johnny - this is a great look at what you can do with a display board that has individual models as opposed to huge units on movement trays. Really cool work and I love the sheet metal used to help keep things secure!

Johnny Hastings said...

Thanks Ryan! I have it almost wrapped up now, it turned out pretty tits. Should have solid pics up in the next few days.

Post a Comment