Well, enough typing let's get on with the show.
To get me going I poured over pictures of the army focusing especially on the resin bases. Here are some photos of the MircoArts Studio bases that the army was mounted on.
Next I started to replicate the stone pattern from the bases to the foam. Good thing I didn't know up front how long this would take as I probably wouldn't have done it! I started with an compass to define the size of the pattern.
I added more curved lines with a compass at different lengths from the center.
I then connected the curved lines with straight radiating from the center using a steel ruler.
I repeated the process over and over again breaking the stones into smaller increments each time.
As a final step for the stone work I went over the pattern with a sharp pen to enhance the texture.
Here's a few more WIP pix of the stone work in the center of the board.
You may be looking at this and thinking that this took a really long time. You would be right.
Next to really capture the spirit of the bases I connected the stone circles with stone paths capped by strips of styrene.
I then created 8 pointed rings for the center of each stone circle. I added rivets to the styrene strips to really tie the board to the resin bases.
I used spray foam to build up the mountain. Inside the mountain I placed several drinking straws which are used to mount the flying stands for the Phoenix. The mountain was built up with many, many layers. After each layer I hacked the foam up with a hobby knife and sand paper.
Next I added a door carved out of EPS. The pattern was inspired by the Gale Force Nine Elven towers. The door was secured in place with more foam.
Next I glued the mountain to the base and added stairs carved out of EPS. I used more spray foam to build up the connection point between the mountain and the board base. I covered the entire mountain with several layers of sculptamuld.
On the flat surfaces not detailed with stone work I added additional texture with various grades of sand and ballast. I also created a few movable details, including 2 way stones, which can be arranged based on the army setup.
Time for paint.
The mounts for the flying Phoenix were made with steel rod capped by a small piece of wooden dowel. A magnet glued onto the end of the wood cap connected to a magnet on the bottom of each Phoenix.
After painting was complete I added the final touches like flock, static grass, bushes and trees. Here are a few photos of the finished display board.
Finally, here is the finished board with the frame.
All told this took me about a month to complete and I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Until next time Rob Out!