On the Thursday before the weekend I collected all my materials.
The list included:
- 3/4" Foam
- 2" Foam
- Liquid Nails (to bond layers of foam together)
- Brown Craft Paint
- Golden Brown Craft Paint
- 150 grit Sandpaper
- 2mm Static Grass
- PVA Glue
I drew the hills on the foam. I mostly went with roughly kidney shaped hills 3" x 6".
I cut out the hits with a cordless jig saw. You could also just use a hobby knife, but I took every option to speed things up.
Use a hobby knife I chamfered the top edge of the hill. I followed this up by sanding the edge with 220 sandpaper. The goal was to give the hills a nice rolled edge that looks great and still had enough flat surface that the hills were playable.
With the hills done I based coated the hills with Brown craft paint from Michaels. In terms of paint, the cheaper the better. I then dry brushed Golden Brown onto the hills paying particular attention to any rocky textures.
Once the paint was dry I set up a flocking area. Over newspaper I used a Styrofoam cut to create a pedestal.
I set the hills on the pedestal, this allowed an excess glue to drip off on to the newspaper.
I applied a 50/50 mix of PVA glue to water to the hill surfaces that would get flocked with a sponge brush.
I then used a sieve to sprinkle flock over the wet surface.
I shook off any excess flock onto the newspaper.
Once the glue was dry I went back over the flock with the 50/50 PVA glue/water mixture. I used a sieve to apply 2mm static grass. It was a real fun project and it just goes to prove that a plan and a little motivation goes a long way. More pictures of the hills in action can be found on the Ohiohammer website.
If you are interested in learning a bit more about this project head over to the Ohiohammer website where I posted an Xtra Points covering the project.