Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ghorgon Iron Blaster Painting Project - Post 1

On July 1st I started painting the main part of the Ghorgon Iron Blaster conversion. I'll be doing a few blog posts on this big guy as it progresses, as a 'how to' for tackling massive single model painting projects.

At the moment, I'm a bit over whelmed by the prospect of painting such a large piece.

Here's the final pic of him before primer:
I've finished painting all of the ancillary bitz that will eventually go on the model.
That was a way to feel like I was making some progress on him, by picking off the proverbial 'low hanging fruit'.

Here's some shots of what's done thus far for the final model.

First up, the wrist guards:
 There's a few different angles there, to try to cancel out some of the wash-out caused by the lighting. As you can see, four wrist guards for four wrists. The goal on the metals was to have an old, very poorly maintained, but well used look. The cloth one with the shield is painted in the exact colors as the rest of my beast/minotaur models. I'm not sure how long these took to paint, since I wasn't tracking them very closely.

Next up, the Ungor helper (A.K.A.: the ultimate nerd apprentice & aspiring butt-kicker):
As you can see, he's made from an old metal Ungor model. The skin tones were something new for me. They were Dark Flesh, with highlights of Desert Yellow (both old GW colors). Final highlights were done by mixing Desert Yellow and a little Bleached Bone. The fur on the Ghorgon itself will be done in these same colors. This little guy is on this base temporarily, just for painting. Eventually, he'll go on the Ghorgon's base, between his legs.This guy took 4 hours, 6 minutes to paint.

Lastly, here's the cannon itself:
 The only conversion I did to this was to add the skulls on the chain in the front of it. Paint-wise, the goal was to make it look, again, very poorly maintained, and very well used. I also wanted it to look old. I tried to do many different levels of rust/verdigris on the different layers of metal detail. Some are very encrusted, and some are not. That was to create some real visual appeal, so it didn't end up looking too monotonous across the whole piece. You'll also notice that I painted the pieces of rock that the Ogres put on there in greens, to look like warpstone rather than rock. This cannon took almost exactly 10 hours to paint.

Well, that's it for now. I'll be trying to do bi-weekly updates on this big guy, assuming there's enough progress to make it worth talking about. ;)


3 comments:

Michael Butcher said...

Looking good Johnny

PsychosisPC said...

Massively large. Good Luck, see ya this time next year at the rate you paint, lol. Nah....the cannonball seems a little shiny that your nerd is using, perhaps some black washes. Early cannonballs were actually rocks.

jugger said...

Looks great!

Post a Comment