Sunday, June 16, 2013

Building my home gaming table.

Hey everyone. Taking a break from furious Blood in the Sun prep to write you all a post about the home gaming table I built for my new house last month. To give credit where credit was due, the main inspiration for this project came from this blog and Rob P, as well as some inspiration and chat with Nicol. I have these 2 guys to thank for me getting this project started!

Now if you read my introduction post, you know I am a designer with 3d software. To be honest, I am a much better designer than carpenter, so I needed all the help I could get tackling this project. I started out with a Saturday morning at the office, and a little too much time on my hands.



When tackling a project like this, the most important thing I can recommend is preparation and planning. Based on the tutorial in Rob's post, I got my list of necessary supplies, then bought a little extra for mistakes, then got to sorting and start cutting!


Now it's always a good idea to have some plans. This post is not so much to tell you how to build a gaming table, as I think the previous posts do such a great job of doing that. It's more of a "how I followed their instructions" post, and how it worked for me. I went the extra mile and printed out full size plans of my table. I recommend just scratching something on a piece of paper. It's much better than winging it.






Even with blog posts and full plans to follow, mistakes will be made. Just try to minimize them and learn from them. Like I said, I am a much better designer than carpenter! But this leg is the only one with the mistakes. I finally got everything lined up, and finished the rest soundly.




Once the table frame was built, I went about securing some supports and painting my tabletop. My original plan was to paint 2 sides of a 3/4" mdf board and be able to flip the table top for 2 different battlefields. Unfortunately, the table warped from paint (yes even 3/4" mdf). Learn from my mistake. I think I had my sawhorses too close together with the table top was resting on them to let the paint dry. The weight of the heavy table top and moisture from the paint coats pulled the edges.






You can see in the photo above the tabletop is not flat, but slightly warped. My plans in the future are to secure the top down with a few more screws. It takes away the ability to flip the table top, but will leave me with a more sturdy finished tabletop. I also used ceiling paint for atextured finish, then 2 coats of paint and primer in one. The surface finish is not entirely to my liking, so I may do a couple more coats of paint and maybe some highlights on the surface.


And finally, I took the idea of a bottom shelf and slightly modified it. A half shelf left me with loads of extra space for my often tall army cases. You can see a few of my Battlefoam cases in this pic, and the 1520XL fitting easily under the table with room to spare (vertically).



Please, leave me some feedback on what you think of the table! It's not entirely finished yet, and would love some ideas to spruce it up a bit. After BitS, we will finally have a break from painting our armies and will be able to spend some quality time gaming on this bad boy!


Thanks!
Rhellion


4 comments:

skippy the wonder dog said...

Alright. Solidworks. Good stuff dude.

Ryan said...

Looks Great. I just painted the wood for my table and stained the reverse side for table top board games. The end result looks very "finished". I chose to paint my legs and sides black though I considered staining as well. I like the paint.

Glad you got this done and love how everyone makes their own mods

Matt Fahler said...

You're going to want to put some supports in the middle (just small 1/2" plywood would work) or the 3/4" plywood will sag heavily in the middle over time. Probably put some every 12-18" to make it nice and solid.

Rhellion said...

In the last picture you can see a support beam under the half shelf. There is another on the upper level as well to support the tabletop.

Post a Comment