Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Stay the Course

I am not totally sure what I was thinking leaving myself 10 weeks to paint 2400 points of a brand spanking new Demons. I guess I've always been a painting optimist, consistently underestimating the time it takes to paint something. I think mainly it must have been the wood elf army I put together a couple years prior. The majority of that army was painted in 6 weeks. (And maybe I thought to myself: "I'm going to give myself 4 extra weeks with the Demons!")


Unfortunately, there were a couple key differences between the woodies and demons:
  • The woodies used simple flock basing. I was going to hand sculpt every cave base for the Demons.
  • I concentrated on very minimal conversions with the woodies. Every single Demon had to be converted.
  • I used a dip with the wood elves. Painting the Demons would require extra steps for advanced techniques. 
Of course none of this really entered my mind. Had it, I would have sensibly brought the woodies to SCGT and taken my lickings like a man. I did not give it much thought, however, and soon I found myself knee deep in tentacles.

One thing I did do early on was track my progress with a calendar. This was actually a huge motivator. I taped each month I had to the wall in front of my hobby desk.

I crossed the days off as SCGT approached and also noted how many hours I had worked on the army.

I work pretty close to home, so I would often come home for lunches and plug away. I would write in a lower case L if I got a half hour in over lunch and and upper case L if I put in a solid hour. On the other side of the day box I would put the number of hours worked in the evening. 

Whenever I did not feel like painting, I would think about having to put a 0 on that calendar. I would pick up the brush or sculpting tool just so I could say I had worked an hour that day, but once I got going I would just keep chugging away.

You can see I had the Snotling tournament marked off on the calendar. This was a 1000 pt tournament about four weeks in to my painting frenzy and a great target to shoot for! I wanted to have 1000 pts of Demons done so I could play in it. That's all my core models and a couple characters, which required some super late nights! I thought this was great as there was going to be some late nights painting this army regardless and all the better to get them out of the way with up front. (Although I didn't figure there was going be some super late nights in the end anyways!) When the Snotling rolled around, I had gotten pretty much everything that I wanted done. I did not end up actually playing in the tournament, though. I was so exhausted from painting that I took the day off. :)


You can see as I moved towards the end of March and into April, I stopped using the calendar as much. It was pretty moot at this point. As every available second I had went into painting the army, I did not need to update the calendar.

I will have to admit, the last 4 weeks were pretty rough. My painting endurance was pushed to the limit. If I had not built it up over the last decade with dozens upon dozens of all-night pre-tournament painting sessions, I don't think I would have made it! The final paint session went from 9:00 am Sunday to 4:30 am Tuesday morning the day we left for the UK (no sleep during that time but I did go to work for four hours!)

That much work did take its toll for sure. I was pretty exhausted for most of the UK trip (and two weeks after!) Overall, though, I'm glad to get the army up and running. I was able to do pretty much everything I wanted. There were a couple minor things I did not have time to do, though:
  • Give the daemon prince a proper blade! A staff was much quicker to do. His hand is magnetized so I'll have no problem switching it out at my leisure.
  • Give the gemstones some love! The prince, epidimius and skill cannons all have these and I did a super quick job on them.
  • Put more skulls, bones, detritus on the bases. I wanted to do more but I just didn't have time. Seeing them now, I'm not sure if it's necessary. Let me know what you think!
Overall, I found that tracking my progress was a great way to discipline myself when the finish line seemed so far away. The calendar kept me accountable and made sure I kept on plugging!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Nutter, listening to the podcast & various posts on the prep of the army I'm utterly amazed it's 10 weeks work, I'd have thought that wouldn't even be enough time to get all the conversions done without even picking up a paintbrush or touching the bases.

Mr Saturday said...

You sicken me.

An army of that standard in that time is an astounding achievement. But the admiration I feel is tainted by the resounding bitterness that consumes me when I look at this army.

Love the show!

IT'S WAAAGH BABY said...

Proper hardcore. The results are amazing.

Rogers said...

hah! Thanks for the comments! The conversion work did take some time. For about 2 weeks after snotling all I did was doing was converting, basing, sculpting, etc. No painting. For the second batch I did all the skin at once, all the metals, all the chitin, bases, etc. Faster than doing it unit by unit but a little depressing since I did not have any finished models in the second half of the painting frenzy to perk my spirits.

Post a Comment