Friday, May 10, 2013

Feral Display Board

In this post I will be showing how I went about building simple and effective display board for Jake's Orcs and Goblin army that he was running at Adepticon.  Looking at the board now it could also be use for other armies like Wood Elves too with just the addition of a few trees.

As the norm with most of my display boards I started with a small cork board with solid black frame.  Onto this I built multiple layers of foam in sort of a stair pattern going upwards from front to back.  To soften the transitions I added a bit of Sculptamold to the vertical surfaces. 


Next I added some watered down Sculptamold randomly over the board to break up the horizontal surfaces.

Taking the texture a bit further I glued down large patches of sand on the board.  This gave me something to contrast against the large areas of grass that would be on the final board. 


For the last texture I added a few bits of broken up cork.  I tried to keep the cork to areas where it wouldn't interfere with the placement of models or units.  In retrospect I'm not sure the cork really added much to this board and would probably skip this step in the future.


Using a steel ruler I created a rocky backdrop for the board.  This effect is created by dragging the end of the ruler across the surface of the foam thereby making it pop and crack.  To create the rock formations I cut the foam into rough shapes and then used the steel rule technique to give it the pattern.  When done I knocked down the rock effect with sandpaper to make it look like it had been carved rather than a natural formation.  I glued the stacked stones directly on to the rocky backdrop.  The stalactite formations were mounted on to heavy washers.  This allowed for some versatility in their placement as they were movable.  In fact if the space was needed for more units they could be removed all together.  The back drop was secured to the display board with double sided foam tap.


Here is what the board looked like ready for paint.



I painted the display board in a burnt umber followed by several dry brushes of burnt sienna.  I then added the patches of grass using my patented 2 layer method of flock and static grass.  The rock formations were base coated dark gray and dry brushed with gray followed by white.  Several washes were randomly applied to break up the gray and give it a more natural look.


After spraying the frame black the board was ready for Adepticon.  I'm really happy with how it turned out and look forward to seeing it in service for many years to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment