Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Adepticon Team Event Display Board

For this years Adepticon team event I built a simple, albeit larger, display board.  Given the size of the 2 armies  (Wood Elves and Brets) I wanted it to be a little bigger than normal.  Also, I wanted to convey the feel of the field from the Battle Beruna from the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe (we did a Narnia inspired army) without making it needlessly complicated.
 
First step was to find a suitable sized cork board.  I usually prefer to use ones with black frames to avoid having to paint the frames.  But I couldn't find one of the right size.  So I settled on this medium sized board from Hobby Lobby for around $9.
 

Next I went to the computer and created patterns for the foam.  I then proceeded to cut them out.  The exposed rocky texture (gray areas on the final board) were created by dragging a steel ruler across the foam.  



With all the pieces cut I went through the simple process of gluing them up with wood glue.  After applying the glue I used a heavy steel plates placed on top of the foam to lock everything together.  I let the glue dry overnight.  I taped up the framed with painter tap to avoid getting it mucked up in the next few steps.




Next I painted the board with Burnt Umber.  I painted the exposed areas gray followed by a few dry brushes with lighter colors.  After the paint dried I applied PVA to the brown areas and applied Farm Pasture flocking. 

One the glue was dry from the previous step I saturated the flock with a 1 to 1 mix of PVA and water.  I then applied 2mm Late Summer static grass over the wet flock with a static grass applicator. 


After removing the painters tape I spray painted the frame black.  Next I created a simple rocky backdrop out of 2" foam using hobby knives and sand paper. 


Finally, I painted up the rocky background and added a few flowers and grass clumps to tie the display board to the army (which used the same materials on their bases).



 
Here's a few photos of the completed board.  It turned out great and I'm happy to say that I was able to sell the board at Adepticon after the team event meaning I didn't have to haul the darn thing home!
 
 


 

2 comments:

Mattias Darrow said...

Pretty nice! Great tutorial, I think I'm going to be making a few smaller ones for Blood Bowl teams and skirmish warbands.

I think I might try sticking some magnets into the cork too, since I mostly base on washers. Thanks for the great info!

retroalias said...

Thanks! I would love to see photos of whatever you come up with. One tip for magnets in foam is be sure to cover then with polystyrene sheeting or they may rip right out of the foam.

I took 9 display boards with me to Adepticon this year. Fingers crossed I will have several more blog posts going up on display boards in the coming weeks.

Post a Comment