Friday, August 31, 2012

Dwarf Mine Display Board Update

In 2011 I built a fairly simple 3 tiered display board for my Brawler Bash Dwarf Army.  You can find pictures and more information about how I made that board here.  In preparation for Waaaghpaca this year I decided to build a brand new board that increased the bling factor by having a mine entrance lit by LEDs.  Construction of the board is covered by several tutorials that can be found here.  I’ve continued to use this board at every tournament this year and I noticed recently that it was starting to show a little wear and tear.  I’ve also been finding it increasingly difficult to fit larger sized units on the board as it was designed specifically for my 2k Waaaghpaca.  So with RockWars GT and Throne of Skulls coming up in next month I decided to give the board a face lift. 
After playing around with some ideas I settled on adding a stone step that extends the mine entrance and stone facing on the left and right vertical walls.  I felt the stone work would add some character and better identify the board as Drengi Grung.  For the step I used ½” extruded polystyrene foam cut with an hobby knife.  I defined the separation between the stones with a ball point pen.  The stone facing on  the vertical walls was created using foam core.  After one of it’s paper facings was removed I sketched out the stone pattern in pencil and engraved it in using a ball point pen.  It is the same technique that I used on many of the buildings for my desert table.  Detailed instructions for that technique can be found here.  After the stones were created I glued them in place with wood glue and let drive overnight.

Once dry I used my new favorite material Apoxie Sculpt (thanks John!) to fill in the gaps and soften the transition between the horizontal and vertical surfaces.  It also gave me an opportunity to define the top of the stone walls by scribing in the stone patten along the top edge.  Next I glued down some chunks of cork followed by sand and ballast to complete the texture.  Finally I secured the texture in place with a coat of watered down PVA.





For painting I started by brushing on a primer to minimize the impact on the rest of painted board.  Next I gave the primed areas a heavy base coat of Dark Gray (craft paint variety).  This was followed by a highlight of gray (more craft paint) that was dry brushed on the textured surfaces and stippled onto the smooth surfaces.  This was followed by a lighter highlight of Drizzle Gray (Delta Ceramcoat).  To break up the gray I applied Athonian Camoshade Camosshade and Agrax Earthshade washes.  I applied the washesthen removed them with a paper towel.  The end result is a slight variation in color that makes the stone look much more realistic.  




Finally I added some additional grasses from Army painter (Winter Grass Tufts) and Woodland Scenics.  Given that it only took me a couple of hours of work I’m really happy with the end result.  In particular I’m glad that the new painted areas blend in reasonably well with the existing paint job.  Clan Blazenbeard is looking forward to unveiling their updated digs at RockWars GT in September. 

3 comments:

ledtech said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ledtech said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ledtech said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Post a Comment