Thursday, April 12, 2012

Empire Themed Table - Part 6

The terrain is really starting to take shape now that I've dove head first into painting.  All the paints mentioned below are of the craft store variety (Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, etc).  All the painting mentioned below was done with goat hair brushes of varying sizes from 4 to 16.  Use the biggest brush that you can still comfortably control to make the painting process go a bit faster.  For terrain work the goat hair is an excellent choice as it is much stiffer and holds up well to the abuse of heavy dry brushing.

Buildings

Now that the construction of the buildings is completed it's time for the real fun to begin.  I primed each building with Krylon Gray Primer in two coats making sure to get good coverage on all the areas inside and out.  I went especially heavy on the base to lock in the texture so that it will stand up to the heavy dry brushing to come.

For the buildings I decided to paint from light to dark as the dark colors easily cover up the lighter colors in the previous steps.  I started with the stucco areas on the walls that will be painted a creamy color.  I based coated the stucco with Mud Stone in two thinned out coats to ensure good coverage.  After this had completely dried I over brushed the stucco areas with Antique White (think dry brush with a wet brush).  Because of the deep texture on these buildings I followed this up with several more dry brush layers of Antique White.  Along the edges I had to use a scrubbing motion to get the paint into the deep recesses. Finally, I lightly dry brushed Seashell White on the middle of each panel.   I painted the stucco completely on one building before moving on to the next building.  This ensured that the stucco on each building looked uniform.  It also gave me a chance to vary the color slightly so that each building looked unique.  For example on the 1 story building I went much heavier on the final Seashell White dry brush which gives the building a brighter look.  Here is what the final stucco looks like.



With the stucco completed I moved on to the roof tiles.  Following how I painted my Citadel Chapel I went with a blue roof which complements the creamy stucco nicely.  I started with a base coast of Midnight Blue.  Next I dry brushed the roof with a mixture of 2 to 1 Midnight Blue to Antique White.  This was followed by a lighter dry brush of 1 to 1 mixture.  Finally I used a 2 to 1 mixture of Antique White to Midnight Blue along the ridge and on the shingles above the beams.  

After base coating the bases in Dark Burnt Umber here is a shot of the three buildings.  Now I get to start on the arduous task of painting in the wood.  



Elven Waystone

The base of the waystone was painted just like the other brown bases so far.  The waystone was base coated with Dark Gray and highlighted with Light Gray.  Then I edge highlighted with Drizzle Gray.



Temple of Skulls

This past weekend I went to my local hobby shop that had recently moved into a larger location.  While I did not find the coniferous trees I needed to make my forests I did stumble on to a new vendor of molded plastic sheeting.  I immediately purchased a sheet of cobblestone (O Scale) with this terrain piece in mind. After I got home I cut out an oval piece of the cobblestone and glued it to the top of the ToS.  After letting it dry overnight I textured the edge using the same materials that I used on the rest of the bases to blend the cobblestone into the top of the ToS.    Once everything was dry I painted the cobblestone with a base coat of Mud Stone followed by a highlight of Sand Stone.  I then painted the hill portion of the ToS with Dark Burnt Umber followed by highlights of Burnt Umber and Dark Brown.  I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to give the cobblestone a mottled effect.  I also attempted to blend in the edge of the cobblestone by feathering the brown into the sandstone.  I finally gave the textured areas a light dry brush of Raw Sienna followed by Sand Stone.


Khemrian Quicksand (AKA Marsh Pond)

With the piece painted up I mixed up some Envirotex and poured in the first layer of water.  I will add subsequent layers of water after the previous layer completely dries. 



 

0 comments:

Post a Comment