Tuesday, January 31, 2012

On Seamless Conversion Subject: Chaos Giant

Be sure to read my blog entry ‘On Seamless Conversion’, as this entry is intended to be an example of what I discussed there. This is example 1 of 6.

My giant is an example of a model looking seamless in and of itself. The purpose of this model wasn’t to fit in with completely within the Beastmen army, it was to add a large interesting model to the force. It was also done as a modeling and painting challenge, since I had never done anything on his scale.

When I looked at the stock model, there were a few things that I wanted to change. The larger changes that I made were to reposition the leg, stand him up straighter, add an extra arm, and the associated chest and shoulder musculature. Each of these things started by me hacking him up, and doing a rough rebuild of the hacked up parts using ApoxieSculpt. I kept the ApoxieSculpt as clean and smooth as possible, and always made sure that the parts I built up were just a little bit below where the finished detail level would be. That way the areas that I rebuilt would not protrude from the model.

When sculpting the new pectoral muscle and deltoid muscles of the chest and shoulder sections; I simply looked at the original chest and back muscles, and matched them as best I could on a slightly smaller scale. Matching that musculature made the addition of the third arm as seamless as it could be.

The rebuild of the leg and hip were the most complicated part of this conversion. The first thing I did there was actually posed in a mirror to see how a body looks when the leg is held up like I wanted the model’s to be. Once the leg was roughly attached with ApoxieSculpt, I started by doing the skin. I only sculpted skin where I knew it would end being the final exposed part of the model, as there’s no need to sculpt smooth perfect skin just to sculpt cloth over it. The style of the skin, muscles, and underlying bone structure in the leg and hips were derived from the way the rest of the model looked. I sat back, looked at the model as a whole, and asked: ‘If his hip was finished, how would it look?’ The cloth on the leg was done to match the rest of the cloth on his legs, obviously. I thought about how the cloth would look as it stretched when he raised his leg like that, and I sculpted it to match the image in my head.

The rebuild of the bottom of the belly was fairly simple; I just filled it in and smoothed it over. This was necessary because it had to be separated and built up in order for him to be stood more upright.

The remaining conversion work on this guy was just cosmetic. Some of it was intended to add interesting flavor; for instance the facial and head hair. Some of it was intended to add a more ‘chaosy’ feel to the model, for instance the bony ridges on the skin and spine.

Overall, the effort put in on the leg and clothing was what paid off the most. It’s those things that really needed to match what was already on the model, in order to not look like it had been converted that way. That effort made the sculpting style of the model look seamless, in and of itself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment